This where introductions go...i think

Wanna talk about some stuff? Here's the place!
Trenicion
Chatter

This where introductions go...i think

Post by Trenicion »

I dont know what I'm doing ... I haven't been on a forum in years... Anyway ... I'm Trenicion or Tren for short .. I'm sure some of you have probably seen me lurk around before, but I should introduce myself i guess.

I'm mostly known for being an adorable, fluffy alien thingy .. but I also am an addict to history, science, games, and animation ... I am .. a lot of times .. hyperfixated on those things and infodump ... a lot ... so I'll try to restrain myself. I am also "old fashioned" I am told a lot as a lot of the things I do are outdated .. an example, I still DM 1e, 2e, and 3e as my main DnD editions and 5e confuses me, but im learning ... so at the risk of rambling on and being awkward... here is my introduction ... I think... :P

Name: Trenicion
PN: He/Him
Bearglyph
Site Admin
Bio:: I made chillboards, and also this cool webcomic called Crosslink
Discord:: bearglyph

Re: This where introductions go...i think

Post by Bearglyph »

welcome to chillboards tren!! no need to restrain yourself here, you can go wild if you wanna. i've never tried 1, 2, or 3, just 3.5 and 5. what's your favorite of the three you're familiar, and what do you like about it?
Trenicion
Chatter

Post by Trenicion »

I personally like 1e for many of the reasons most people hate it ... I like the tax system because it balances out the game so there isn't really money hoarding ... and how it based more on real time .. example ... if you dont have a session for a week .. a week of in game time has also passed and you "catch up" and can build more story and character development ... at least IMO ... the there is also thac0 (2e had it too) which, albeit, is more complex .. it makes battling less monotonous ..
Bearglyph
Site Admin

Post by Bearglyph »

wait so like... the game is taking place in parallel time to irl? so you get to write new lore between sessions, i actually LOVE that! i wish that had stuck around, I've always felt like dnd sessions drag on and on, and nothing much happens between sessions, so that would definitely keep things spicy. what's thac0?
Trenicion
Chatter

Post by Trenicion »

Yes .. the reason the realtime thing wasnt liked is ... if you didnt play for a long time you STILL had to pay the in game taxes and use rations ... and a lot of people went into debt simply as they werent playing.

Thac0 means: To Hit Armor Class 0 .. so .. DnD wiki describes it best as this example "a character with a THAC0 of 14 must roll between 14 and 20 on a d20 to hit an opponent with AC 0. Against an opponent with AC6, he hits on a roll between 8 and 20 (14 - 6 = 8)."

it confuses people because unlike now .. the lower the armor class was ... the harder it was to hit .. and you get negative Armor Classes like -5 AC and things like that.
Bearglyph
Site Admin

Post by Bearglyph »

oh so thac0 changes the variable from "okay so you add your modifier and weapon bonus to your roll" to "okay so you have this percent chance of hitting a guy with this armor class"?

i actually kinda like that but i understand why it might not catch on.